Lake residents who close up their cabins for the winter should take the following precautions:
- Drain and shut off all pipes to outside faucets.
- Leave inside faucets dripping and cabinets open to expose plumbing to warmer air.
- Take all high-valued items, such as televisions, VCRs, stereos and the likes with you.
- Consider installing a silent security alarm, even though it requires leaving on your electricity.
- Most importantly, have a neighbor check your home
occasionally to ensure that it is safely secured.